About Me

My photo
Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Wednesday, February 10

Five poems - Franz Hohler (German - English translation)

On the correct usage of time
I didn't 
go with you to the train station 
I had so much to do
and I really needed 
that half an hour.

But you were barely away
I sat down there
and was
sad for a whole hour

The useless

For long
I was supposed
to fell the Thuja tree
beside my window
everyone who knew about gardens
told me
it had grown too tall
at the time
and rises now
old and very sparse
up to the second floor
eats light and soil 
but serves no purpose.

A starling is now sitting
on one of its branches
is beating its wings
and sings all morning long
it could be sitting somewhere else
I think
and it makes me glad
he gets to sit here
beats its wings
and sings
on this scorched branch
that's swaying lightly 
on that tree
that serves no purpose

The note

Ah ha
I thought
when I came home
at night
and on the floor
I saw a bright spot
there lied
a note for me
on the stairs.

But see now
it was just
the moon light

And

it then dawned on me
is that not
some kind of message?

Signal

On the rockface
stands someone
and swings a torch

to and fro
so the night
becomes bright
for a fleeting while
with sparks of red

the torch is me.
The one who swings it
is Death.

Sunclocks

Your clock
beside my clock
on the windowsill
under the midday sun.

Together
they drink light
so they can fulfill their duty
to indicate to us
how we slowly
become older together
you and I.

ORIGINAL TEXTS
Vom richtigen Gebrauch der Zeit
Ich habe dich
heute morgen
nicht zum Bahnhof begleitet
ich hatte soviel zu tun
und brauchte sie dringend
die halbe Stunde.
Doch kaum warst du weg
sass ich da
und war
eine ganze Stunde lang traurig

Der Unnütze
Schon lange
sollte ich den Thujabaum
vor meinem Fenster
fällen
alle, die von Gärten was verstehen
raten mir's
er ist zu schnell gewachsen
seinerzeit
und ragt nun
alt und viel zu schütter
bis zum zweiten Stock
frißt Licht und Boden
aber dient zu nichts.
Jetzt sitzt ein Star
auf einem seiner Äste
putzt die Federn
schlägt dann seine Flügel
und singt den Morgen ein
der müßte sonst woanders sitzen
denk ich
und es freut mich
daß er ausgerechnet hier
die Flügel schlägt
und singt
auf diesem ausgedörrten Ast
der leise schwankt
an einem Baum
der gar nichts nützt.

Der Zettel
Oha
dachte ich
als ich heimkam
nachts
und am Boden
den hellen Flecken sah
da liegt
eine Nachricht für mich
auf der Treppe.
Doch sieh da
es war nur
das Mondlicht.
Und
fiel mir später ein
ist das etwa
keine Nachricht?

Der Signal
Auf der Fluh
steht einer
und schwingt
eine Fackel
hin und her
dass die Nacht
sich erhellt
für flüchtige Zeit
mit Funken von Rot.
Die Fackel bin ich.
Der sie schwingt
ist der Tod.

Solaruhren
Deine Uhr
neben meiner Uhr
auf dem Fenstersims
in der Vormittagssonne.
Gemeinsam
trinken sie Licht
damit sie stets
ihre Pflicht erfüllen können
uns anzuzeigen
wie wir langsam
zusammen älter werden
du und ich.